The Maximum Transmission Unit, or “MTU,” can be specified on most routers, including the Netgear Genie App. The MTU specifies the largest packet size that can be transmitted over the network. The default router setting for the MTU is 1500 bytes for Ethernet networks, and 1492 for PPPoE connections. However, your ISP may require a lower setting to accommodate connectivity and the flow of data.
Steps to Change the MTU on a Netgear Genie
- Open a Web browser and type “192.168.0.1“ into the address bar. Press “Enter.” A login dialog box is displayed.
- Type the administrative username and password into the respective fields, then click “OK.” The default username and password for the device are “admin” and “password.” The main menu of the Netgear administrative interface opens.
- Click the “Advanced” option in the left navigation panel under WAN Setup. The WAN Setup Advanced Options screen is displayed.
- Highlight the value in the “MTU Size (in bytes)” option and type the desired value over the existing characters.
- Click the “Apply” button. The MTU value is set to your specifications on the Netgear Genie router.